Irevisited my earlier flavorless sausage and the outcome was much better. I made these for a recent camping trip and they kept quite well, for 3 days, in our cooler (of course, it was also pretty chilly outside, too, so that helped).
I didn't get any photos but seitan sausages all look pretty similar.
- 1 box vital wheat gluten (6.5 ounces)
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp ground fennel
- 1 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp A1 sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 9 tbsp marmite water
- 12 tbsp water
- Combine ingredients. Form into 7-8 log shaped pieces.
- Wrap each piece in aluminum foil.
- Steam, in a pressure cooker, for 15 minutes (after pressure is achieved). Slow cool/release pressure.
- Next time, I'll be after a little more flavor. Maybe more marmite or bouillon. Some more spice and they'd also make a good pepperoni.
- I'd also like to try baking these as their texture is fairly soft when warm but good/firm when cold.