Creamy Spinach Soup
I've been wanting to make creamed spinach soup for a long time and finally, last night, with a huge tub of spinach that needed to be eaten, I finally managed to give it a try. The following recipe is just a compilation of lots of recipes I found online. If you're not sure you will like creamed spinach soup, halve this recipe.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 1/2 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- generous amount olive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 vegetable cube (I used Rapunzel no-salt)
- about 2 tsp vegetable bullion (I used Better Than Bullion, Chick'n)
- black pepper, red pepper
- about 10-12 ounces fresh spinach
- about 3 tbsp Earth Balance
- dash soy sauce
- dash Indian curry powder(I used Frontier brand)
- about 2 tbsp Tofutti Cream Cheese
- 2 cups plain, unflavored soy milk
- pinch nutmeg, optional
- Saute onions, carrot and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, potatoes, vegetable cube and bullion.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are almost done.
- Add spinach, peppers, soy sauce and Earth Balance.
- Cook until spinach is wilted. Lower heat.
- Add soy milk, curry, Tofutti. (Don't boil after adding soy milk and Tofutti.)
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Serve with extra Tofutti cream cheese, if desired
- My goal with this soup was to make a blended soup that was satisfying and a meal-in-itself - lower-fat versions would make a wonderful side dish.
- Two onions would be better, I only had one.
- Evin, an ardent blended-soup hater, said this was "better than he expected" - high praise, indeed!