I've been trying to make some soup for a while, but have neglected to get things started early enough. Which is to say, before Evin gets home and objects to soup. Finally, last night, I managed to get a jump on things - and just in time, too, because I had some veggies that just needed to be used up and no real ideas for anything else to do with them.
Cabbage Amaranth Soup
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage, sliced into thin shreds
- ~ 10 sun-dried tomato halves, minced
- 3/4 cup amaranth
- seasoning, maybe about 1/2 tsp each of rosemary, thyme; 1/4 tsp each of ground savory, ground sage, caraway seeds; 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste
- ~ 1 tbsp Better Than Chicken bouillon
- 1 bouillon cube
- ~ 2 tsp marmite
- ~ 2 tbsp tomato paste
- dash soy sauce
Hold out cabbage and cauliflower. Almost cover remaining ingredients with water. Bring to a boil, simmer for about 10-15 minutes(?). Add cabbage and cauliflower and cook until done.
Anyway, a hearty, satisfying soup but could have used a tad more flavor. It would be good with some spicy sausage. Next time.