Hearty Barley Lentil Tomato Stew
Posted by ataraktos on 2008-12-14
- 1 onion
- 3+ cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 Chinese eggplants
- 1 stalk celery
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- 28 ounce can pear strip tomatoes
- ~ 1 tbsp Better Than Bullion Vegetable Bouillon
- ~ 2 tsp marmite
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- dash nutritional yeast
- dried parsley
- 1 cup barley
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup lentils
- dash oregano
- olive oil
- 2 Rapunzel vegetable cubes
- Rinse and soak barley and lentils about 6 hours before cooking.
- Wash, dice all other vegetables, chop up tomatoes.
- Add grains, vegetables, tomatoes and olive oil to pot, nearly cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and add salt, pepper, marmite, bouillons.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Make thick paste from flour, yeast, parsley, oregano and a little water. Stir into soup/stew, cook until thickened.
- Stir this stew occasionally - more often if you're making this fairly thick - barley will try to stick to the pot bottom!
- Cook for another 10 minutes or until the lentils and barley are done to taste.