Southwestern Quinoa and Black Beans
Arecent conversation with a co-worker lead to my realizing I have only one - one?! - quinoa recipe posted here. We have quinoa fairly often, usually just as the grain portion of our meals, but I haven't tried out many explicit quinoa recipes and that's a shame.
So, I decided to try this recipe for dinner tonight - the only thing this needed was more green-ness - I threw is some asparagus. Dark green leafy veggies would be good, too.
- 2onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- about 10 sun-dried tomato halves, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 cans, or equivalent, of black beans
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer quinoa in broth, with cumin, peppers and salt until done - about 15-20 minutes.
- Sautee onions, tomatoes, garlic and carrots in some olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus and cook until done.
- Combine quinoa, vegetables, beans and corn. Heat until warmed through.
One thing I love about quinoa is how the seeds release their little "tails" when done.