Spinach Mushroom and Tomato Quiche
I used this recipe as a guide. I made a few changes, though - here's pretty much what I did:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup flour - approx. half whole wheat, half cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil - filled 1/3 cup measure about 2/3 full with canola, rest with sesame oil
- shortening to grease 9 1/2" pie plate
I pretty much followed the original directions for making the crust.
- 1 block extra firm tofu (14 ounces)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- approx. 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Indian black salt
Puree these ingredients to a food processor or blender.
- 1lb. fresh spinach, 1 lb frozen spinach - thaw/wilt, squeeze out liquid, chop finely
Saute the following ingredients:
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- approx. 8 sun-dried tomato halves, recon'ed, diced
- mushrooms, diced - I used about 5 fresh white buttons and a handful from a mix of dried, recon'ed
- 1/2 tsp salt
After I cooked the onion/mushroom mix fairly dry. I removed from the heat and coated with 1 ounce flour and added about 2 tbsp canola oil.
Mix all filling ingredients together, spoon into crust and cook in preheated oven, at 350 degrees, 40-45 minutes.
It turned out ok! The crust, I thought, had good flavor but was a little dry. If I make this again, I would try to use the recommended 16 ounces of tofu and maybe a little less spinach.