Summer Cookout Staples
I've never been much of a fan of potato salad. But I think, what I've disliked about it all these years is too much "crunchy stuff" in it - chunks of celery, big bits of pickle, etc. At its basic level, potato salad is potatoes and mayonnaise - hard to go wrong with that!
Vegan Potato Salad (adapted from about half a dozen recipes online)
- 44 ounces small yellow potatoes, peeled, diced, cooked until tender
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp tummeric
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- about 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish (I like Vlasic brand - more shredded that little crunchy chunks)
- 1/2 tsp indian black salt
- celery seed
- pinch each of cumin, red pepper and ginger (probably can't tell the difference if you left these out)
- salt, black pepper
- Whisk all ingredients except potatoes and paprika.
- Pour sauce over warm potatoes, tossing to coat.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Refrigerate to cool.
Boston Baked Beans (a combination of Alton Brown's recipe and one posted on vegsource.com ages ago)
- 1lb dry navy beans, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced (membranes and seeds removed)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp liquid hickory smoke (or more, depending on how concentrated your smoke is)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- Saute onion and chilies in olive oil, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, sugar and molasses.
- Then add vegetable broth, soy sauce and smoke.
- Add mustard powder, red and black peppers and salt.
- Add beans and cook until the mix begins to bubble. Clamp on lid and then transfer to the oven.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 6-8 hours.
Vegan Homemade Hot Dogs (from this recipe)
- 30 grams almond, finely ground
- 9 ounces tofu
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 1/2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp oil
- 34 grams onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 140 grams wheat gluten
- Combine all ingredients except wheat gluten.
- Process in food processor until completely smooth.
- Mix in gluten to form a wet dough.
- Shape into logs, roll in foil, pressure cook 15 minutes past achieving pressure.
- These had really good, hot-dog-like flavor but the texture could have been denser - this was more like a 'sausage' in texture. The texture improved some on cooling and we didn't boil them, as directed - I'll try that tomorrow.