Vegan Snickers Bars
So, for Easter this year, I wanted to make a "Pecan Egg" type of candy: nougat-y center, covered in caramel and rolled in toasted pecans. I found a recipe online for vegan nougat that I decided to try early. Well, it turned out ok and then I had a 9x13 inch pan of nougat. Before Easter. So I decided to make Snickers bars, like the original recipe did with the nougat.
These turned out quite nicely. If anything, they're better the second day. So thoughts for next time - I'll probably go with about 12 ounces of chocolate and maybe 1/2 ounce cocoa butter to cover the amount of candy this recipe makes (less a few sampled pieces). I may also consider making about 1/3 more nougat - it's not that great, alone, but it really is the "star" of this candy and my pieces could've used a thicker nougat layer.
- 340 grams sugar
- 250 grams soy milk
- 30 grams corn syrup
- pinch salt
- 130 grams vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 170 grams Better Than Milk Powder(I used Original flavor)
- Heat sugar, corn syrup, soy milk, margarine and salt in a heavy bottomed 4 quart stock pot, with candy thermometer attached. Stir with wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved.
- Cook mixture on medium heat to 235 degrees.
- Prepare 9x13 pan - grease sides and line with parchment. Parchment should be long enough on wide sides to lift final candy slab from pan.
- Combine gluten with Better than Milk powder.
- Remove pan from heat, add vanilla then Better Than Milk, stirring quickly to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Allow to cool and set-up before adding caramel layer.
- 1 cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (112 grams)
- 1 cup 'milk (I used plain, unsweetened hempmilk - I thought I was defrosting canned coconut milk, but hey, it worked.)
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups roasted, lightly salted cashews, chopped
- Combine all but vanilla and nuts in heavy bottomed 2-quart pot with candy thermometer attached.
- Over medium heat, bring mixture to 245 degrees, stirring frequently.
- Once proper temperature is reached, remove from heat and quickly stir in nuts and vanilla.
- Spread caramel over nougat layer. (I had to work quickly - the caramel was ready to set up. Have your spreading utensils ready.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Cutting tips - I cut the long strips (9 inches) with the caramel on top. I frequently washed my knife. I flipped the strips over to make the second cuts from the nougat side.
- 10 ounces of vegan chocolate - the good stuff, or it won't temper. You want chocolate that contains cocoa butter and no other added fats.
- 1 ounce cocoa butter (note, that's what I used in this recipe - next time, I would half the amount of cocoa butter. My candy bars ended up with feet, as you can see below.
- Temper your chocolate for dipping. I'm really no authority on tempering - there's lots of instructions online. YMMV. I've used a sous vide set-up and the seeding technique. I've had good luck the few times I've done it, so far.
- Dip cut pieces into chocolate and place on parchment until the chocolate sets up.