Apple Seitan Sausage, Take II
Posted by ataraktos on 2009-10-03
- 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tbsp sage
- 1/2 tbsp ground fennel
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried apples, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 2 tsp marmite
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- sprinkle curry powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy, 1 tbsp Worcestershire, 1 1 /2 tbsp A1 plus water to equal 2/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl.
- Add wet to dry mix, and knead until combined.
- I made 8 smaller portions. I think 6 would be ideal.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until done (good luck with that) - see recipe link below for steaming method. (I baked my 8 sausages for about 10 minutes too short. Always a challenge to figure out when something wrapping in foil is done!)
- Based on this recipe for ingredients and changes from my first attempt.
- These were tasty but didn't have as much in common with the Field Roast Version.
- Next time, I'll go back to 1 tbsp sage. Maybe decrease the A1.