Asparagus Cashew Pilaf
Fixed a pilaf last night, it was pretty tasty. And relatively easy (except for the oddly un-roast-able cashews I ended up trying to brown on the stovetop, after about 4 or 5 10-minute sessions in the oven at 350 to 425??? Maybe our oven is broken?)
Adapted from this recipe.
- 3 ounces spaghetti noodles, broken into quarters or smaller
- 1 cup rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- handful sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 2 1/4 cups water + 2 vegetable broth cubes
- 2 bunches asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup roasted cashews
- 1/4 c vegan margarine
- salt, pepper
- Melt margarine over medium-low heat.
- Add noodles, cook until they start to turn golden brown.
- And onions, garlic and tomatoes. Cover and cook a few more minutes.
- Add rice. Cook about 5 minutes, to toast.
- Add water, cubes. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, cook without removing cover, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir-steam asparagus.
- Combine rice, asparagus and cashews.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.