Banana Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Posted by ataraktos on 2010-10-04
Adapted from this recipe.
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 medium bananas, plus 6 figs (recipe called for large bananas and i had figs that needed to be eaten)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- ener-g powder for one egg
- 3 tbsp homemade yogurt (soy milk plus vinegar would probably be fine)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine walnuts, chocolate chips and cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Mash bananas and figs. I pulsed in food processor. Add vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Mix ener-g powder and yogurt/buttermilk. Add to fruit.
- Combine fruit with creamed mix.
- Add flour to wet mix. Stir until just combined.
- Layer half of the batter in a greased, parchmented 8 x 8 baking dish. Top with half of the struesel. Top with batter and then remaining struesel.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool in pan. I'm cutting this directly from the pan. Seemed a little dangerous to try and de-pan, with all that struesel.