Broccoli Cheddar Casserole
Posted by ataraktos on 2011-06-18
Recently, I had some Daiya Cheddar cheese that needed to be used up ... so I veganized this broccoli casserole.
- 4 broccoli crowns, steamed (about 15 ounces)
- 3 cups cooked organic jasmine rice + 1 Rapunzal vegetable cube
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups vegan cheese - about 1 1/4 cups Daiya cheddar and 5 ounces Follow Your Heart Monterray Jack, shredded
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine, melted + 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 recipe "cream", below.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 tub Toffuti Cream Cheese
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1/3 cup prepared mashed potatoes (organic russets + vegan margarine)
- dash reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Make "heavy cream" - blend cashews in food processor until fine. Slowly add water, cream cheese, margarine and blend until smooth.
- Mix in mashed potatoes, soy sauce and seasonings. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add flour and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms release their "water".
- Combine all but 1/2 cup of cheese and bread crumbs with rice.
- Add "cream" and rice mix to onions and mushrooms. Add broccoli.
- Spoon mix into 9*13 casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and Panko bread crumbs. Bake in a pre-heated-to-350-degree oven for 25-35 minutes.
Veganized from this recipe.