Cauliflower Pakoras with Awesome, Easy Vegan Breading Recipe
Last weekend, Evin made these cauliflower pakoras. They were delicious ... deep-fried, but like many truly deep-fried foods, not as oily as you'd expect. The really exciting part was the batter ... this is the perfect vegan dipping batter and I definitely plan to use it again - deep-fried mushrooms being at the top of the list.
The tahini yogurt sauce could have been a little better. We had a bit left over. I preferred ketchup with the pakoras but adding onion powder, garlic powder and nutritional yeast made a nice ranch-flavored sauce that was good with rice and vegetables.
- 240 grams chickpea flour
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp red pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 360 grams water
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Add water until breading is almost as thick as ketchup.
- This amount of breading covered about 1 1/2 pounds of cauliflower florets.
- Dip cauliflower or other vegetables in batter and deep fry (at 360 degrees) until lightly browned.
Yogurt Tahini SauceIngredients:
- 240 grams plain vegan yogurt
- 30 grams tahini
- 30 grams lemon juice
- Mix all indregients together.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.