Chewy Sugar Cookies
Lately, I've been craving sugar cookies - big, chewy ones with crunchy edges, like I used to get at the mall (usually with M&M's in them). So I gave an old recipe a test-run before deciding what delicious stuff to add in - like toasted pecans or mini chocolate chips - next time!Ingredients
- 1 cup all purpose flour (120 grams)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening (50 grams ... my original notes said 1/8 cup but I just realized, typing this, that I screwed up - they were still yummy but feel free to decrease a tad from 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp applesauce
- 1/2 tbsp eneg-r egg replacer
- 2 tbsp soymilk
- 2 tsp extract - I used 1 tsp lemon, 1 vanilla - Evin thought they had too much lemon flavor so I may decrease that next time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar together in a bowl.
- Cut shortening into dry mix.
- Combine ener-g, soymilk, applesauce, corn syrup and extracts together. Mix well.
- Add wet to dry mix, and mix, by hand, kneeding together until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Cut dough into 6 pieces, roll into balls and mostly flatten onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, flattening cookies slightly with spatula after about 8 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire racks.