Chocolate Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Cake
Posted by ataraktos on 2009-08-11
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 ener-g, prepared
- 1/3 cup robust molasses mixed with 2/3 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup and then mixed with 1 cup hot water (note: I only had corn syrup so I made up the 2/3 cup golden syrup by using roughly 2:1 - corn syrup: molasses)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 recipe Cardamom Cream Cheese Frosting, see notes
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and parchment two loaf pans.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Cream Earth Balance, sugar and prepared ener-g.
- Alternately add fat and syrup mix to dry mix, stirring to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Remove from oven, cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Move cakes to racks and cut, horizontally, with thread.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Veganized from this recipe.
- Frosting: 4 ounces vegan cream cheese, 1/2 cup Earth Balance, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 to 1 tsp cardamom - no instructions needed, right? =)