Green Split Pea Soup
Posted by ataraktos on 2008-08-25
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups green split peas
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 cups carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sweet basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 1/2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup Green onions w/ tops; diced
- 1 tbsp Spike (never have this and substitute a Rapunzel vegetable cube)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 10 oz Frozen peas - rinsed under hot water to thaw (I always leave these out, never have them)
- In a large 5-6 qt pot bring to a boil water, split peas, celery, onion, thyme and bay leaves.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until split peas are slightly soft.
- Add carrot, garlic, basil and oregano, bring to a second boil then continue simmering covered until split peas are very tender and are dissolving to form a thick broth.
- Add potato and simmer until potato is tender but still firm.
- Turn burner to lowest heat and add green onions, spike, soy sauce, sea salt & cayenne pepper to taste.
- Add peas if desired. Heat and gently stir until peas are tender.