Spicy Rice And Black Eyed Peas
Posted by ataraktos on 2008-08-25
We used to make this often, like once a week or so. Haven't made it in a long time but should revisit it again soon.
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red cayenne pepper (or more - I used to add 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes also)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can black eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix all ingredients in a 10-12 inch skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 25 minutes or until the sauce is incorporated and the rice is done. Add more water if needed.