Vegan PepperJack Burritos
I came across this recipe recently and it looked so tasty, I decided to try it (as opposed to bookmarking it with the thousand other recipes I want to try, one day) ... and magically, my Whole Foods had Pepperjack Daiya! I hadn't noticed it before. I also managed to find some organic bell peppers at the local Giant. Bell peppers are one of a handful of vegetables I really try to buy organic. I don't know why it's so hard to find them.
Anyway, a quick word about the Daiya - it was great! Reminds me of pimento cheese in flavor, with some added spicyness. I will be looking for more ways to use it.
And the burritos ... they were delicious, filling and quick to whip up for dinner.Ingredients
- about 1 cup vegan pepperjack cheese
- 1 tub extra firm tofu plus 1/2 box aseptic silken tofu
- safflower oil
- Dash nutritional yeast
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- about 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- about 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 4-5 large burritos
- Dice extra-firm tofu. Mash silken tofu with a fork. Heat in a non-stick pan to cook off some of the "tofu water".
- In another pan, saute the bell pepper and mushrooms with some oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the spices, agave, vinegar and smoke.
- Coat the tofu with the spice mix.
- Add the spinach to the peppers and mushrooms to wilt.
- Add the tofu to the vegetables. Mix to combine.
- Turn off heat, stir in cheese, cover pan and let the heat melt the cheese.
- Warm burritos, stuff, fold and serve.
- PS - as mentioned in the original post, if you have a gas stove, heating your burritos over the flame works extremely well.