Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas with Green Chili Sauce
We're going to a new vegan restaurant tonight but finished off all our leftovers last night for dinner, so I found myself in the rare situation of needing to actually cook lunch today.
I had organic sweet potatoes that needed to be cooked so we fixed some enchiladas with those and black beans - spicy, delicious and filling. And we have enough for lunch tomorrow!
(Halved and based on this recipe.)
- 2 very large sweet potatoes
- maybe 1 1/2 cans worth of black beans (if using canned, try 1 can and see if that's enough)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- black pepper
- dash soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 very large flour tortillas (corn would be better but we were in a rush at the store, to catch the next bus home and I picked up the first vegan ones I saw - if you try corn, see original recipe for instructions.)
- 1 recipe green chili sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 block Follow Your Heart Monterey Jack vegan cheese
- Peel, cube and steam sweet potatoes until they're soft.
- Mix spices, lemon juice, soy and garlic with potatoes.
- Fold in beans.
- Line a baking dish with some chili sauce.
- Make enchiladas, and place in dish.
- Cover with more chili sauce and top with shredded 'cheese'.
- Bake in a pre-heated-to-350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with additional sauce.
Green Chili Sauce
(halved, based on this recipe.)
- 8 ounces canned hot green chilies
- 2 ounces canned jalapeno peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 vegetable cube
- 1 tbsp corn starch, mixed with a bit of water
- Combine all ingredients except the cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil.
- Optional - Turn off heat and mix with an immersion blender.
- Return to a boil, adding cornstarch to thicken.