Oatmeal Walnut Chocolate Chip Quick Bread
Wanted something different for breakfast this morning - was planning on waffles but our waffle maker is having some issues, so I veganized this recipe instead (with some ideas from this one, too) - turned out pretty well, though the top was a little too crunchy for quick bread - crumbled a bit, when cut - but, as is, would be perfect for muffins.
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened (oil would probably work fine, too - this was supposed to be 3/4 cup but I messed up. glad I did!)
- 1/2 cup mimic cream
- 1 "egg" - 2 tbsp ground flax seed, 1/2 tbsp ener-g, 4 tbsp water, 1/2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp soy lecithin granules (is it obvious I couldn't decide what egg replacer to use?)
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar (brown sugar is a pain to measure so I just used 260 grams)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole oats
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Mix ingredients for "egg" in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, microwave water, orange juice and mimic cream (my "cream" was frozen, too).
- Add vanilla and oats to water/oj mixture.
- Mix softened margarine and brown sugar. Add to oat mix.
- In another bowl, mix remaining dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and parchment 2 8" x4" loaf pans.
- Fold thickened egg mixture into wet mixture.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Spoon into prepared pans and bake 50-60 minutes.
- Next time, I'll add some orange zest, for a stronger orange flavor.