Vegan Tomato Cream Soup
Sick house here - luckily, not too bad though and already getting better by day 2 of sniffling - still, though, I wanted something hot and soupy, so I made a pot of tomato cream soup today. Turned out pretty good, though I will make some adjustments next time.
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, diced
- handful of sun-dried tomatoes
- olive oil
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes (mine had basil)
- about 1 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- dash soy sauce
- 3 cups water
- 2 vegetable broth cubes
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- scant 1/4 tub of tofutti cream cheese
- 1 cup unsweetened mimic cream
- Sautee onion, garlic and dried tomatoes in some olive oil.
- Put canned tomatoes, pizza sauce, soy sauce, water, vegetable cubes and margarine in a stock pot. Add cooked onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Heat to a boil and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, blend with an immersion blender.
- Add cream and cream cheese, continue to blend until smooth.
- Serve hot.
- Next time, I will decrease the mimic cream - mimic cream has a flavor that I don't really like and 1 cup is too much, in this recipe. I'll probably go for 1/3 cup and make up the difference with broth.
- I will probably decrease the cream cheese a bit, too.
- I may add some cooked potato for thickener, and experiment with adding a sort of roux, as many recipes online call for flour.
- With a few tweaks, this could definitely become a go-to meal for sick soup. And no chickens have to die.