Vegan Chick'n Salad
Posted by ataraktos on 2009-01-28
Nothing really in this recipe is set in stone, either ingredients or amounts. It's so easy and tasty - make it often and adjust as you see fit.
- Chick'n: any combination of chickpeas, tempeh or reconstituted TVP. The amounts in this recipe assume about a "14oz-can-of-chickpeas-worth" of chick'n
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegan mayo
- dash each red pepper, black pepper, chili powder and/or cumin, dry mustard, paprika
- liberal sprinkle each kelp granules, celery seeds (or chopped celery, if you like raw celery)
- hemp seeds and/or pumpkin seeds and/or vegan bacon bits
- onion and garlic powder, to taste (if using TVP, I reconstitute onion flakes with it; if you like raw onions, they'd be good)
- 5-6 drops spicy mustard
- hemp and/or flax seed oil (a good squirt - this salad has a lot of flavor, so it's a good place to 'hide' a little oil!)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (or some pickle relish?)
- 1 - 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp toasted wheat germ (optional - I actually don't know if I've ever used wheat germ but it would certainly be tasty and nutritious)
- sprinkle of Indian black salt, if you have it (and haven't used too much soy sauce) - in addition to tasting like eggs, Indian black salt (which, incidentally, is pink) is *really* salty.
- salt, to taste, if you didn't use soy sauce or black salt
- If using chickpeas, mash them with a fork. If using tempeh, crumble and brown in a little oil and soy sauce. If using TVP, reconstitute with boiling water and your favorite boulion.
- Add rest of ingredients and mix together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Add more mayo, if needed, so salad holds together.
- Chill, if desired. Serve with crackers or bread. Nice with spinach.