Avocado Quick Bread
Posted by ataraktos on 2009-02-28
- 250 g all-purpose flour (2 cups)
- 270 g sugar (1 1/3 cups)
- 1/2 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp gypsum (optional, calcium supplement)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 112 g Earth Balance (1/2 cup), room temperature
- buttermilk: 1/3 cup soymilk + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 55 g (1/2 4. oz tub) applesauce
- 1 tbsp ener-g, prepare with 2 tbsp water
- 295 g avocado (2 large avocados)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and parchment a 9*5 loaf pan.
- Mix dry ingredients together. Add chips and nuts.
- Cream 'butter and sugar.
- Peel and dice avocados.
- Combine butter mixture and avocados in a food processor until smooth.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla and pulse to combine.
- Prepare ener-g.
- Make a well in dry ingredients. Add avocado mix and ener-g.
- Fold gently to combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Combination of this recipe and my pumpkin quick bread recipe.
- This may have been better with dried fruit, instead of the chocolate chips.
- The top was also a little crunchier than I would've liked - would be nice with a cashew butter cream, though. Next time, I may decrease the baking powder (think I've read that too much can cause crunchy crust??)