Carrot Cardamom Cupcakes
Posted by ataraktos on 2008-08-22
Cooked carrot mix:
- 1pound carrots
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup soymilk ener-g eggs, see instructions
- 1 tbsp applesauce
- 1 cup raw, unsalted pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line muffin pan (12) with liners.
- Peel and finely grate carrots.
- Sautee carrots in margarine for 3 minutes. Add water, cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove lid, add soymilk and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, stir, simmer 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare "eggs":
mix a little less than 2 tbsp ener-g powder with 2-3 tbsp of water. whisk and let sit until thickened.
- Combine dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom.
- Combine wet ingredients - vanilla, sugar, oil, soymilk, applesauce and "eggs".
- Combine wet mix with cooked carrot mixture.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures, fold in nuts.
- Fill cupcake papers about 2/3"²s full and bake about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and frost with Cardamom Pistachio Cream Cheeze Frosting.
- This batter seemed a bit too wet but they rose nicely, didn't sink/fall while cooling and were incredibly moist and delicious!
- This made 12 cupcakes plus two "little cakes" - greased, 2-cup Pyrex bowls.
- adapted/veganized from this recipe.