Chai Spice Layer Cake
Posted by ataraktos on 2008-08-22
- 3 cups light spelt flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 cups soymilk
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional - batter is thin and full-size chips tend to sink. mini-chips may work better. Or decorate with chips after frosting.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease, parchment and flour 2 9" round cake pans.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, spices, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine soymilk, applesauce, oil and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Stir until all flour is absorbed.
- Next add vinegar and stir until evenly distributed throughout batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.
- Cool and frost with Chai Frosting.
- adapted from this recipe.