Cheddar Cheezy Sauce
Posted by ataraktos on 2009-05-19
- 1 1/2 cups of liquid - either plain, unsweetened 'milk or water - I do half and half, if I have 'milk on hand.
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp light miso
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened - the flour will cook and you'll have gummy, rubbery lumps, if you're not careful. Make sure to get around the pot's edges.
- This is my adaptation of Jo Stepaniak's Melty White/Cheddar Sauce.
- If you have a flat whisk, now's the time to use it.
- This sauce thickens quickly. So quickly, sometimes, that I don't think the flour tastes "done" ... in which case, I whisk in a little more water and continue to cook.
- I find this amount of sauce is perfect for stovetop mac & cheeze - just prepare and mix with 300 (dry) grams of pasta, cooked and drained.