Chocolate Rum Ice Cream
Posted by ataraktos on 2008-08-22
- 28 g Earth Balance
- 32-35 g neutral-flavored oil
- 1 1/2 ounces baking chocolate
- 1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water
- 1/4 cup rum (50 g)
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk (360 g)
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/8 cup lecithin granules (20 g)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 box Mori-Nu extra-firm tofu (or 215 grams Mori-Nu Firm)
- 1/4 cup sugar (50 g)
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Refrigerate overnight or about 8 hours.
- Follow your ice cream maker's instructions.
- On the second try with this recipe, I decreased the coffee to (1/2 tsp espresso powder & 1 tbsp water) to avoid too much coffee flavor. The coffee flavor is nice, if you like coffee but a lesser amount just enhances the chocolate flavor.
- I also learned that the rum will dissolve the lecithin granules!
- In previous ice cream attempts, I've mixed ingredients except the xanthan gum, and let sit over night. Before placing in the ice cream maker, I'd blend in the xanthan gum. This time, all ingredients were mixed and sat overnight in the 'fridge. The mixture was pudding-consistency by the morning! Froze well, though, and much nicer, avoiding a second blender step.