Eggplant and Barley Stew
Posted by ataraktos on 2009-02-21
- 2 American eggplants, diced, salted, rinsed, squeezed and rinsed again (whew!)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4+ cloves garlic, minced
- approx. 6 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry pearled barley
- 2/3 cup dried lentils
- approx. 6 white mushrooms, diced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- approx. 1 oz dry soy curls, reconstituted, heated with some oil, soy sauce, garlic and onion powder (could use more, this is just the amount I had as left-overs) (optional)
- Soak barely and lentils for a couple of hours to reduce cooking time.
- Rinse and place barley and lentils in stock pot, barely cover with water and cook on medium-high until done (keep a watch on the water level). Turn off heat.
- Strir/steam fry onions, carrots, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes in a generous amount of olive oil (I used a generous amount of oil in this recipe as it was originally going to be a curry - I then realized I didn't have any coconut milk).
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook until veggies are done. Add veggies to stock-pot with lentils and barely.
- Stir-fry eggplant in some olive oil until done. Add to stock pot.
- Add canned tomatoes to stock pot.
- Add warmed soy curls (along with their oil and soy sauce) to stock pot. (if using)
- Turn stock pot back on, to medium-high heat. Add a little water as needed. Allow all the ingredients to cook together for a few minutes (watching that barely - it sticks!!).
- I cooked all the veggies separately to reduce the amount of water I'd need, if I threw everything into a pot at once.
- Serve with pasta.