Latest Pecan Pie Attempt
I've been trying to perfect vegan pecan pie for a while ... this was the best outcome so far but I still wouldn't say it's perfect. I plan to try, soon, the version floating around on the interwebs that calls for saltine crackers and applesauces. Sounds a bit crazy, but I think it just might work.
Anyway, here is the recipe for my lastest attempt. If the applesauce/cracker approach fails, I'll pick up from this recipe and start making adjustments and tweeks again.
The below amounts are for one 5" (inside diameter) pie.Crust Ingredients
- 18 grams coconut oil
- 18 grams shortenting
- 12 grams vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 tbsp hot water
- pinch salt
- pinch sugar
- 100 grams flour
- Melt fat with hot water.
- Mix in dry ingredients until combined.
- Press into pie plate.
- Put in the freezer while preparing filling.
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 tbsp light or dark corn syrup
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp ener-g + 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp Bisquick
- 1 tsp pectin, dissolved in 3 heated tbsp soymilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend all ingredients, except pecans, in a food processor until smooth.
- Line chilled pie shell with pecans.
- Top with filling.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.