Soft Ginger Cookies
Posted by ataraktos on 2008-08-22
- 3 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp flour, plus more to add later
- approx. 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 3/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- pinch cloves
- 1 tsp fresh, grated ginger
- generous pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Mix flour and leavening.
- Add all other ingredients to sugar mix, combine well.
- Add wet mix to flour, kneed - add more flour as needed until dough comes together but is still *slightly* wet. Dough should be softer than "roll out and cut" cookie dough.
- Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes.
- Form dough balls, about 1" and flatten slightly. These cookies should flatten out as they cook.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes (turn 1/2 way through).
- I might use baking powder if omitting the fresh ginger. I would also use heaping teaspoon powdered ginger if omitting fresh ginger.
- Can omit cloves.
- This dough freezes well - just slice and bake!