Sweet Corn Muffins
This muffins aren't meant to be cornbread cooked in a muffin tin - they're sweet. They remind me of sugar cookies, actually. They have a nice, crunchy top and are great with a little vegan margarine.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup corn or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice plus soymilk to equal 3/4 cup
- 2 tbsp soy sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper cups.
- Combine flour through sugar in one bowl.
- Thoroughly combine remaining ingredients in second bowl.
- Mix wet and dry together.
- Fill cups 2/3rds full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done.
- I found these a little crumbly, especially hot out of the oven. Once they had cooled some, they weren't as crumbly. But they also couldn't melt Earth Balance as well! :-)
- Alteration of a combination of these two recipes: one, two.